Get A Copy Of Your DD-214 Discharge Papers

How do I get a copy of DD-214 (Separation or Discharge Papers)?

The DD-214 is a record that would ascertain or prove your military service. The Defense Department issues to each veteran a DD-214, identifying the veteran’s condition of discharge or separation—honorable, general, other than honorable, dishonorable or bad conduct. It can now be requested online; however, only by the veteran himself or if deceased, his next kin, that is his surviving spouse that has not remarried, or his closest surviving relative like his father, mother, son, daughter, sister, or brother. Military records can be requested online from the eVetRecs Website at: Be sure to read all instructions before beginning the request process. The request must contain certain basic information for your service records to be located. These information includes:

    • The veteran’s complete name used while in service
    • Service number
    • Social security number
    • Branch of service
    • Dates of service
    • Date and place of birth (especially if the service number is not known).
    • If you suspect your records may have been involved in the 1973 fire, also include:
      • Place of discharge
      • Last unit of assignment
      • Place of entry into the service, if known.
    • All requests must be duly signed and dated by the veteran or next-of-kin.

If you are not the veteran or next of kin, you must complete the Standard Form 180 (SF 180). There are several ways to obtain an SF-180. You can:

    1. Download and print a copy of the SF-180 in PDF format.
      • You need access to a printer and the Adobe Acrobat Reader software. The form is a total of 3 pages.
      • The SF-180 is formatted for letter size paper (8.5″ x 11″).  If your printer can not accommodate this, select “shrink to fit” when the Adobe Acrobat Reader “Print” dialog box appears.
      • This is also a fillable version of the SF-180. It will allow you to type the needed information into the form using your keyboard.  You will still need to print, sign and mail the form. Otherwise, it works the same as stated above.

      • To return the form to us, review the tables on page 2 of SF 180 for the correct location of the desired record (based on branch of service, dates of separation, and type of record) and send the completed form there.
    1. Contact the National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) to order the form through the mail.
    1. Write to The National Personnel Records Center:
    • 9700 Page Avenue
      St. Louis, Missouri 63132
      You may also be able to obtain the SF-180:
    1. From the Department of Defense
    2. From Federal Information Centers
    3. From local Veterans Administration offices
    4. From veterans service organizations

The SF 180 may be photocopied as needed. Please submit a separate SF 180 for each individual whose records are being requested.

According to the National Archives and Records Administration, generally there is no charge for military personnel and health record information provided to veterans, next-of-kin, and authorized representatives. Should your request involve a service fee, however, you will be notified as soon as that determination is made.

Regarding response time, it varies dependent upon the complexity of your request, the availability of records, and the workload of the agency. A follow-up request before 90 days have elapsed is not only unnecessary but could actually cause further delays.

Share Button
  • joseph b. chambers

    need copy of dd 214

  • Tana Lee Wrigley/ Page

    I am the daughter of a veteran that served in the military in San Diego, California (Camp Pendleton) I was born at the navel hospital at Camp Pendleton. My question is how do I gather imformation on my Father who is now deased on serving in the military? What is needed to obtain a DD214 I don’t know what to do or how to obtain this imformation. any suggestions on what i should do.

    Tana Lee Wrigley/ Page

  • Elizabeth Lucier

    I am the daughter of a veteran. I believe he was honorably discharged but he has since become mentally ill, not remembering much of the experience so I can’t get dates, etc. from him, and I want to get a copy of his discharge papers so perhaps he can get somc help.

  • Lt.Stephen JDonahue

    Need to obtain my Army discharge papers ( 1976)

  • Alice Preston

    I am trying to help my elderly uncle get a copy of his discharge papers from the army . He served in WWII.

  • Roy V. Durbin

    need to obtain a copy of discharge from Air Force ( 1960)

  • Gavino C. Cabotaje

    My Dad was a WWII veterans and need a copy of his DD 214.- Discharge Papers. How he’s gonna get it? Thanks

  • linda fuller

    i am a sister of a viet nam brother and i need to obtain a copy of his dd214 papers to join the VFW LADIES AUXILLARY IN MCKENZIE, TN How can i obtain one i have all the information needed

  • http://no Gilbert S. Plotner

    Need copy of my Discharge Papers DD-214 .

  • Gerald Kenneth Streun

    I need a copy of my DD-214 form. I was in the U.S Army Reserve, 353 Engineer Group HHC, in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma.

  • Elizabeth C.


    I’m also an Elizabeth in the same position. My dad is a stoke victim in third stage dementia. I have done the online thing, I have gone to local va offices, I have called st. Louis, Indianapolis, NARA, and every Fort possible. No luck. VetRecs says his records were in the st. Louis fire, but the people affected don’t line up with him (he was army reserve 1956-1962). Have you had any luck? any suggestions? This is so frustrating.

  • david allen garner

    I recently requested and reveived a copy of my DD214. The SS # is incorrect. How can I get a revised copy with the correct #? Thanks, David A. Garner.

  • P. Lynn

    Have you obtained your records? I am just starting. I’m in the same boat. I wonder if NAMI can help us?

  • albert d. eure

    I caught t/b disease — had a bad heat stroke and a heart attack — which left me weak with a prominent heart mumer. The war was over and i had been approved to get discharged. The Air Force wanted to put me in the hospital for three months in order to observe my problem and to make a proper discison . I disaproved — a bad decision for me .

    I did not want people know that i had a health problem —— they discharged me with a general discharge under honorable conditions.

    Now w I

  • Michael A. Mirabelli

    I am attempting to find out how to obtain a copy of my discharge papers or proof that I served in the Army Corp. I previously attempted to locate my discharge papers but only to find out my records were destroyed in a fire. I served in the Army Corp during the early to mid 1940′s, and I am currently receiving a small stipend from the VA for a partial disability to my left eye. Any previous records issued to me upon my discharge were also destroyed in the Oakland, Ca fire in 1991. Everything I owned except for the clothes on my back were lost. Can you provide me with any direction? Thanks so much.

  • mary hester

    i am trying to get copeys of my fathers discharge papers from air force and army

  • John Krestalude

    I am need of my DD124 ASAP I am doing a strean line for VA Mortgage I cannot find my papers or discharge papers is there away I can get it off the internet ASAP.

  • Tiffany Saeteurn

    All my separations papers and medical documents were stolen out of my baggage in the airport! I need to get copies of everything I had. I even called and emailed the place where I signed papers for separations of the army and they never got back to me. Please is there a way to get my discharge papers?

  • L Moreno

    As a spouse of a veteran I helped in getting him 100% diability. Any1 needing their discharge papers shld contact their VA main office for their county or state. I live in Contra Costa County, Calif so our main office is in Oakland. You can also go to your nearest Veteran hospital or med ctr, or if your city has a veteran organization they can help you on how/where to get discharge papers and medical needs.